Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper
By: Terri Bionda JacobsI don't like boxed or canned meals, but when they're the home made version they're pretty good, and this one's so easy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Stand time: 5 minutes
Ingredients1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 cup hot water
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, or a blend of your favorites (plus more for topping, if desired)
Sauce "Packet"(includes the ingredients below)1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
Directions1. Brown ground beef or turkey on Stove Top High. Drain. (I usually don't have to drain when using turkey)
2. Add hot water, milk, pasta and "sauce packet" ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
4. In the last few minutes of cook time, add cheese, stir and re-cover.
5. When pasta is tender and cheese is melted, turn off heat and uncover.
6. Let stand about 5 minutes. Sauce will thicken as it stands. I like to add a little ground pepper at this time.
7. Top with additional cheese if you'd like.
Variations:-For a spicier flavor, use Mexican cheese blend, or add some taco seasoning.
-For a buffalo twist, add ¼ cup of buffalo or hot sauce, and substitute ¼ - ½ cup blue cheese for the cheddar.
-Add crumbled bacon, because bacon makes EVERYTHING better!
-Use mozzarella cheese and add pepperoni or sausage for a pizza spin
-Add veggies to make yourself feel like you're eating healthy comfort food